Rasberry Glazed Ham
- 4-5 kg half leg of ham on the bone skin on
- Cloves for studding
- 30 g of Freeze-dried Raspberry Pieces
- 200 g firmly packed brown sugar (1 Cup)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- To make the raspberry glaze, place all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and set over low heat. Gently heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside for flavours to infuse, until cool. Strain through a fine mesh sieve.
- To prepare the ham, score the skin around the ham bone where it joins the meat. Run a knife under the skin to separate from the fat. Work your fingers in between the skin and the fat to lift off and discard the skin.
- Place the ham on a rack and set on top of a deep tray, to catch the cooking juices. Score the fat 5 mm deep into a diamond design. Stud with cloves. Pour 2 cups (500mwater into the tray, to prevent drips from burning. Brush one-third of the glaze over the ham. Bake for 1 1/2 hours. Glaze ham every 20 minutes or so, until caramelised. Top the drip tray up with water as required.
- Remove ham from the oven. Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled. Slice to serve.