Bakewell Basbousa Truffles
Basbousa Ingredients: (half of the cake for 23-25 truffles)
- 150 grams sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla/almond extract
- 250 grams semolina
- 50 grams ground almonds
- 122 grams yoghurt
- 113 grams melted butter
- 62 grams flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4-5 tsp raspberry jam
- Flakes Roasted almonds and freeze dried raspberries for coating
For sugar syrup:
- 236 grams water
- 200 grams sugar
Icing to adhere coating:
- 100 grams icing sugar
- 1/2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 180° C
- Whisk together eggs, sugar and vanilla extract. Add semolina, ground almonds, yoghurt and melted butter and whisk together.
- Sift in flour and baking powder then fold to combine. Let the batter sit for 5-10 mins. It should be a fairly thick consistency.
- Pour in to greased tin and then add dollops of raspberry jam. Using a skewer, marble it through the batter. Bake for 20-25mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- To make the sugar syrup simply place sugar and water in a pan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve and let it come to a boil(approximately 5 mins).
- Pour 2/3 warm syrup over the warm cake and then let it cool completely.
- Once completely cooled, crumble the cake up in a bowl in to small pieces (I used half of the cake and it yielded 23 truffles).And now by adding the rest of the syrup and a few tsp of jam if needed, you should form a dough like consistency which can easily form balls.
- Roll out the truffles and then freeze for 20 mins.
- Prepare the icing by mixing icing sugar and water. Lightly coat truffles in icing and then in coating.
- Refrigerate for 30 mins and then enjoy!
Recipe By: One Hungry Medic Instagram: @onehungrymedic